The Ursulines of Brown County, Ohio
In July of 1845, eleven women arrived in Saint Martin, a village of French and Irish settlers at the northern tip of Brown County, Ohio. The archbishop of Cincinnati , John Purcell, invited these Ursuline Sisters to establish a school for young ladies. He wanted their presence in his diocese because this organization of women, founded by Saint Angela in 1535, was known for the quality of their education.
An Englishwoman named Julia Chatfield led the group and was offered a tract of land that was part of the Virginia Land Grant deeded to the archdiocese by General John Lytle. The sisters so identified with the spirit of their new environment, that they became known legally as the Ursulines of Brown County.
The academy the sisters built, the School of the Brown County Ursulines, achieved some distinction as an educational institution. Families who wanted a balanced program of learning and culture for their daughters chose the Ursulines, and boarding students came from all over the United States, Canada, and South America. With the changing needs of society, the high school closed in 1981, and the original building was leveled.
Ursuline Academy was opened as a day school in Cincinnati in 1896 and soon built a reputation for excellence. Their college preparatory program continues to thrive at their present location in Blue Ash, a Cincinnati suburb.
A college program established on the St. Martin campus for the basic liberal arts education of young women entering religious life aroused the interest of local people, and, in 1971, Chatfield College opened its doors to the public. In 1989, Chatfield College opened a campus in Cincinnati. The 2-year Chatfield College at St. Martin closed in 2023.
At present, there are 14 Brown County Ursulines. These professional women continue to serve in many leadership positions throughout Brown County. The superior of the Brown County Ursulines (the "Congregational Minister") is Sister Patricia Homan.
An Englishwoman named Julia Chatfield led the group and was offered a tract of land that was part of the Virginia Land Grant deeded to the archdiocese by General John Lytle. The sisters so identified with the spirit of their new environment, that they became known legally as the Ursulines of Brown County.
The academy the sisters built, the School of the Brown County Ursulines, achieved some distinction as an educational institution. Families who wanted a balanced program of learning and culture for their daughters chose the Ursulines, and boarding students came from all over the United States, Canada, and South America. With the changing needs of society, the high school closed in 1981, and the original building was leveled.
Ursuline Academy was opened as a day school in Cincinnati in 1896 and soon built a reputation for excellence. Their college preparatory program continues to thrive at their present location in Blue Ash, a Cincinnati suburb.
A college program established on the St. Martin campus for the basic liberal arts education of young women entering religious life aroused the interest of local people, and, in 1971, Chatfield College opened its doors to the public. In 1989, Chatfield College opened a campus in Cincinnati. The 2-year Chatfield College at St. Martin closed in 2023.
At present, there are 14 Brown County Ursulines. These professional women continue to serve in many leadership positions throughout Brown County. The superior of the Brown County Ursulines (the "Congregational Minister") is Sister Patricia Homan.